Melanie Byrne, who owns Heritage Riding, is an Equestrian Federation of Australia Level 2 General and British Horse Society Intermediate Instructor and holds a Diploma of Equine Management VCAH Glenormiston.
Melanie did her instructor coaching training in the UK for three years and on her return established Heritage Riding. Melanie trains and rides at Grand Prix Level Dressage, and teaches Dressage, Showjumping and Eventing. She has been working in the Horse Industry for 31 years and Coaching for 26 years.
Her vast experience ranges from:
- Studs: handling stallions and young stock, breeding and foaling
- Breaking in and riding young horses
- Equestrian Centres: competing and showing horses in Dressage & Eventing
- Riding Schools: teaching and training riders
- Competing/Training Horses from Preliminary to FEI Level Dressage
- Trained Horse & Rider combinations to represent on Queensland State Squads in Dressage and Eventing
- Racing Stables: riding trackwork
- Polo Stables: grooming
Melanie did not come from a “horsey” family but was “horse mad” from the age of 2 years old and her parents thought if by the age of 5 they did not do something about her “pony addiction”, she would follow the next horse and never come home again. As a result Melanie got her first pony at the age of 6 and the rest is history. The same all consuming passion and love for horses as a little girl, still fuels what she does today in her coaching and riding. Horses are simply ‘a way of life’!!
Melanie trained with Edgar Lichtwark for 15 years and now with Edgar’s wife, Marianne for the past 5 years. Her own interest is now in Dressage, but having previously Evented, she enjoys teaching both the skills required in Dressage and the Jumping disciplines.
Many of Melanie’s students have stayed with her from ages 5 or 6 and are still training with her 20 years later, and that is really reflective of what Melanie Byrne and Heritage Riding is all about!!